Root onion mite is a pest of garlic, which penetrates through the bottom, damage the root system and provokes the development of diseases such as Fusarium.
Root onion mite
In Latin: Rhizoglyphus echinopus (synonyms Rhizoglyphus callae, Rhizoglyphus lucasii)
In Spanish: Ácaro del bulbo
Chinese: 洋葱刺足根 we think so :))
Ukrainian garlic cooperative “UkrUp” offers:
+380 50 694 4199 Tatiana
+380 67 446 5295 Anna
By phone and WhatsApp
Root onion mite has short-oval body shape length of 0.7-1.1 mm and a width of 0.4-0.5 mm. Color creamy white. Have four pairs of short brown legs. Legs and large spikes.
Eggs are white and oval.
Larvae have three pairs of legs.
This mite is a parasite on many crops such as: garlic, onion, potato, beetroot, daffodils, hyacinths, tulips, lilies, Amaryllis, Dahlia, etc.
Usually they occur in colonies that populate the damaged areas under the root plate of onion or garlic.
Mites moisture — and heat-loving organisms that thrive at temperatures above 13°C and relative humidity below 70%.
Mites can survive on decaying vegetation in the field until it has completely decomposed.
Females have high fecundity: a single female lays up to 800 eggs. But unfertilized females do not lay eggs. A day is postponed from 5 to 25 pieces. The female lives for up to two months.
Every generation develops within 10-30 days.
Females lay eggs in the bulbs or in the substrate on which they settled.
Eggs. The embryo develops from 4 to 11 days depending on temperature.
Larva. Development takes place at temperatures between +15°C to 25°C and humidity of 80-100 %. Development depending on the conditions takes from 2 to 22 days. When humidity is below 60% of the larval stops.
Hypopus .Under adverse conditions or lack of food appears very stable form of the pest (nymph II.). In this form ticks in the absence of food can survive very long. Nymph II. may distribute the onion fly, hoverfly, onion ceutorhynchus and other insects.
The lower threshold of development of the pest + 9,7 ° C. the Sum of effective temperatures necessary for the full development of one generation is 181 °. All stages of the pest are observed simultaneously.
How the root onion mite spreads
Root mite usually lives on garden land in the soil mixtures greenhouses feeding on different plant residues.
In an indoor soil mite is filled with seed.
How the root onion mite affects garlic
Mites damage the onion and garlic in the vegetation period and during storage. In follicles penetrate through the bottom. Inside the follicles they live between the fleshy scales the outer surface of which is covered with a brownish rotten mass. Damaged onions rot and then dry up.
Mites inhabit mainly diseased or damaged bulbs but can damage healthy. Through wounds caused by ticks can enter a variety of microorganisms that cause rotting of bulbs.
The presence of infection root onion mite usually indicates that the teeth have been damaged. Such damage could be caused by other pests such as onion fly or by mechanical means at the separation of the teeth (especially with the use of mechanical peeling), during landing.
Harm all stages of development of the tick.
Affected plant parts turn into a brown mass, consisting of live mites found in all stages of development, excrements, the larval pelts.
Injured settle various putrefactive bacteria and fungi.
Although root onion mite and is not considered a major pest of garlic or onion, but may cause serious losses.
Direct damage from root onion mite is not as critical as consequential damages. It arises from damage caused by mites, become a gateway for microorganisms that cause decay and death of tissue. These ticks can also be carriers of pathogenic fungi. Such as Fusarium oxysporum that cause Fusarium blight of garlic.
Here, as in the picture below:
How to deal with the root onion mite
- To reduce the population of mites in the soil must be timely and efficiently perform the peeling of the field after removing predecessor, plowing and milling.
- There is a need to monitor the acidity of the soil – its increase contributes to the development of mites. Besides garlic does not like acidic soils.
- Follow crop rotation (do not plant the field to the onion for 3-4 years).
- Improvement of planting material through the bulbils.
Recall that the tick is not an insect; this insecticide has no effect on him. Requires acaricides or insectoacaricides.
Among well-known manufacturers, we have identified drugs that have acaricidal action. But regarding the use of garlic is required to consult with manufacturers.
- Apollo, the production of Adam, Israel. The active substance clofentezine 500 g/l. Contact acaricide. The rate of application of 0.3, 0.5 l/ha 300-400 l of the working fluid. Not later than 40 days prior to harvest.
- Pyrinex Super — production of Adam, Israel. The active substance chlorpyrifos, 400 g/l + brenten, 20 g/l. Contact-intestinal fumigatus insecto-acaricide. The rate of application 0.8 l/ha in 200-400 l of the working fluid. Not later than 40 days prior to harvest.
- Masai manufacture BASF, Nmachine. The active substance of tebufenpyrad, 200 g / kg. Intestinal contact insectoacaricide. The rate of application of 0.4-0.8 kg/ha. Not later than 30 days before harvest. Application deadlines spring when 70 – 80% of the larvae of the summer – when the pest population exceeding the economic threshold.
- Bi-58 New, produced by BASF, Germany, (400 g/l Dimethoate), application of 0.5 – 1.0 l/ha.
- NISSORUN, production Nippon Soda Co., Ltd., Japan. The active ingredient of Hexythiazox, the rate of application of 0.4-0.5 kg/ha to 900-1000 l/ha of working solution. Not later than 35 days before harvest.
- Vertimek, the production of Syngenta, Switzerland (18 g/l Abamectin), the use of 0.7-1.0 l/ha.
Drugs based on sulfur
- Cumulus, produced by BASF, Germany. The active ingredient is 800 g/kg Sulphur. The contact fungicide with acaricidal properties.
Pictures of ticks from sites: – researchgate.net dimetris.com.ua
Posted by: Andrey Marchenko
To receive up-to-date information about growing and business on garlic – folow to us on Facebook, or enter your e-mail in the form on the right.