Penitsyloz garlic it is a garlic disease caused by fungi of the genus Penicillium. This genus of fungi on some species which produce the antibiotic penicillin.
This is one of the most common diseases of onions and garlic during storage.
- Blue mold of garlic
- Green (blue-green) mold
- Green mold
In other languages
- Spanish: Molde azul en ajo
- French Moisissure verte (ou bleue) dans l ail
Pathogens blue rot
Types of fungi genus Penicillium Link:
- Penicillium allii
- Penicillium hirsutum
- Penicillium corymbiferum
Development Penitsyloza (blue mold) of garlic
Pathogen Penitsyloza of garlic stored in the soil on plant debris. But without the “host” Penicillium fungi in soil not long survive. So usually spread the disease associated with the use of infected planting material.
Disputes with the patient bulbs in storage, moved to neighboring.
The presence of any damage to the not infected bulbs (mechanical or invasive) significantly accelerates the spread of blue mold as providing “entry point.”
The most intensive disease develops under conditions of high humidity and temperature in storage.
Penitsyloz of garlic – Symptoms
- premature yellowing of leaves
- Blue or blue-gray or greenish fungal plaque at the base of the plant.
Symptoms on onion and cloves
- White patches on the bottom which eventually turns green
- sluggish teeth touch
- Development of the disease leads to the fact that the bulb collapses completely on the teeth and completely covered by fungal mold blue or blue-green
- Often mold develops under the scales of garlic
- It infected teeth when pressing seem empty
Prevention and control
- After harvest, do not just trim the stem and root close to the bulb. Since mold spores can enter through the open “access points”
- Picked up off the garlic should be dried in a warm dry place with good air movement. Drying racks with mesh screen and fan provide the best conditions. Dry track for three to four weeks, and after that carry garlic in storage. Proper drying and no injuries create unfavorable conditions for disease development.
- Optimal storage temperature of planting material – about 10 C with humidity less than 60%
- Remove infected bulbs before planting, as they are the main source of infection.
- Deleted therefore bulbs must destroy. Do not punch.
- Be careful when division heads of garlic cloves in before planting. Avoid injury cloves to reduce the entry points for pathogens microorganisms.
- Plant garlic cloves separated as soon as possible to reduce the impact of the dispute mold
- Crop rotation also can effectively reduce the growth of the pathogen.
- Treat planting material antifungal drugs, such as «Maxim XL» by Syngenta.
During the growing season
Options fungicides to combat Penitsylozom (blue mold) garlic:
- Shyrlan production Syngenta, Switzerland. The active substance of 500 g / l Fluazynam. The consumption rate of 0.4 l / ha.
- Kvadris production Syngenta, Switzerland. The active substance of 250 g / l Azoksystrobin. The consumption rate of 0.6 l / ha.
- Super Bumper production ADAMA, Israel. The active substance propikonazol, 90 g / l + prohloraz 400 g / l The consumption rate of 0.8 l / ha.
Video – for example of Penicillium oranges
The Information was prepared by – Andrew Marchenko